Monday, September 26, 2011

Nursery Tour: Baby D’s Coastal Chic Nursery

Boy do I have a nursery for you today!  I couldn’t help but be drawn to this amazing room when I saw it over at Project Nursery…..plus it’s one of the few fellow Australian nurseries I’ve been able to show you and Kelle (Baby D’s mum) was happy to answer some of my questions!

Kelle is an avid blog reader and came across an image of the front of a store which featured pops of turquoise and yellow and she knew straight away that that was the colour scheme she wanted to go for.  From the stripes on the wall to the delicate butterfly mobile and decals on the wall, this room oozes casual glamour!BABY D'S NURSERY

What inspired you for its design?

I wanted to create a space that we would enjoy spending time in as a family. I wanted a modern, calming space with pops of colour. BABY D'S NURSERY

How did you decide on the theme?

The theme evolved over time, and when we decided on the stripes I think that’s when it all came together. I was inspired by Sonja Bouw’s nursery  I love that she created a space that was modern and ‘fun’. 

What was your nursery decorating timeline?

We were undergoing a major renovation at the same time {as many pregnant women do!} so for a while the ‘nursery’ had many lives - a kitchen and storage room among them. So I used this time to scour the net (lots of the items came from etsy.com) and local homewares stores and picked up pieces along the way that I truly loved. BABY D'S NURSERY

Where did you purchase some of the furniture and decor?

The Moroccan pouffe is from Ada & Darcy, the replica Marcel wanders stool is from Sokol, Boori Country Sleigh Cot from Baby Shop Direct, Mini Louis ghost chair is from Click On Furniture, White Wash hamper is from Target, the ‘once upon a time’ bookends and butterfly mobile are from Adairs, the rabbit ornament is from Typo, a Jo Malone candle, the frames and shelves are from Ikea, Sock Monkey is from Etsy – Super Sock Monkeys, I love you more print is from Etsy – Gus & Lulu, You are my sunshine print is from Etsy - Jess Gonacah, yellow baby blanket is from Etsy -  Baby Buttercup, Butterfly decals from Etsy – Surface Inspired, blue zebra pillows are from Etsy – Mi Casa Bella and Butterfly print is from Etsy – Ish & Chi.

The wall colours are gorgeous.  What are they?

Dulux - Chocolate Shake and China Doll quarter

How many DIY elements were involved in this nursery?

My husband and I created the driftwood hanging wardrobe using a piece of fishing wire and some bolts attached to the shelves. BABY D'S NURSERY

What’s your overall favorite detail of the nursery?

To be honest, each piece was selected very carefully so I love absolutely everything in the room – but…. If I had to choose it would be the driftwood hanging wardrobe and the “I Love You More Print” – as soon as I saw this print it brought a tear to my eye as the feeling you have toward your baby before he/she is even born is indescribable!

What was the biggest challenge of creating your nursery?

Having the rest of the house renovated at the same time which held up the process – I was dying to get in there and start putting the room together! BABY D'S NURSERY

What’s your advice to other parents out there attempting to decorate their own nurseries?

Choose items that you absolutely love rather than just trying to fill the space – and then show them off with some open shelves. Also think outside the box and look everywhere for those special pieces – not just baby/nursery shops. Oh, and blogs and etsy.com are your best friend for inspiration!

Thankyou so much Kelle for sharing your gorgeous nursery!

 

PS – Kelle is due October 16th…..great day for a ‘birth day’ if you ask me!  Yep, my birthday! 

7 comments:

Amanda said...

This is one of my favourite nurseries you've shared. Love the colour palette, soft and neutral with touches of colour. I'm due 2 days after Kelle but our nursery is yet to be decorated, I'm still working on Grace's room :) This post has given me a few more ideas though so thanks x

Belinda - Nest Design Studio said...

It's gorgeous isn't it Amanda?! Charlie is nearly 8 months and I'm still finalising bits for his nursery!

Smartbox said...

Pretty good post its an informative topic excellent and well written!
Smartbox self storage on demand, we deliver, you pack, we collect and store - perfect for people looking to store their furniture when renovating. www.smartbox2u.com.au

Anonymous said...

Hi i looove this nursery what an amazing job i am desperately trying to find the paint colours and it says Dulux - Chocolate Shake does not exist. Could you please point me in the right direction? thank you so much! love your work.

daisee albert said...

Nursery furniture is essential thing for decorate baby room. Its help to make baby room more attractive. From here i get nice ideas for decorate baby room with good designed nursery furniture.

baby changer

Pipes said...

For any one wanting these colours. Don't ask for Dulux ask for Taubmans Chocolate Shake and China Doll quarter

Pipes said...

Taubmans Chocolate Shake and China Doll quarter

©Nest Design Studio
Real Time Web Analytics